Winter is right around the corner. This means avoiding unforeseen home problems. Before winter sets in, here is a list from Classic Construction Service to help prepare your home:
1. Check insulation Add extra insulation to attics, basements and crawl spaces. If too much heat escapes through the attic, it can cause snow or ice to melt on the roof. This all leads to major ice buildup in your gutters causing dislodged roof shingles, sagging gutters and interior water damage.
2. Check windows for drafts The majority of the heat in your home is lost through the windows and doors. Check windows to ensure the seal, caulking, and frame are all in good condition.
3. Schedule a roof inspection Avoid a major roof problem in the dead of winter by getting a roof inspection now! We would be happy to schedule a home visit to provide a free assessment.
4. Inspect for rotted wood Rot is a fungal growth that occurs when wood becomes damp. "Dry rot" is rotted wood that is no longer wet. Any wood that remains damp is at risk for developing rot. Rot (along with termites and carpenter ants) can damage the structure of a home or building.
5. Check your Fireplace Animal nests or creosote buildup in your fireplace can be dangerous. Schedule a yearly inspection with a reputable chimney sweep before your first fire of the season.